This week we talk to the amazing Sacha Young from Coup De Main magazine. Sacha talks us through her ten favourite things about winter… With a mention of television marathons and internet shopping we couldn’t agree more! Check it out for your self below! x
There are many positives to Winter, as there are negatives. I miss the Summer-y weather, ice-cream breaks and trips to the beach… alas, Winter has many great aspects too. For example I am a fan of the snow. Not so much touching it or even partaking in snow-activities, apart from snow-angels, but the idea that with snow comes holidays, warm evenings inside with a cup of tea and a nostalgic film in hand.
So here are my ten favourite things about Winter…
1. Films, films, films! I am super excited to attend films that are showing at the annual ‘New Zealand Film Festival’, I was lucky enough to see Richard Ayoade’s film-directorial debut ‘Submarine’ yesterday, which was completely incredible. If you’ve seen the ‘IT CROWD’, you will appreciate the Moss-like sense of humour that Ayoade integrated into the film so well.
(watch the ‘submarine’ trailer here
2. Winter clothing! I live for the colder days so I can chuck on my chunky knit sweaters, woolen scarf, thick socks and knee-high black boots. I’ve picked out my top-five picks available from Superette.
3. Winter is radical, because it’s the only time of year I can order an extra hot coffee. My local coffee shop is ‘Altezano’ on Symonds Street. My day isn’t complete without a coffee, I will literally go out at 10PM if I haven’t had one yet…mmm.
4. Staying in on a Saturday night and drawing, because it’s far too cold, rainy and windy to endure the Winter-weather outside at night.
5. Walking home from work in the dark, whilst listening to Michael Buble’s ‘Crazy Love’ album – thinking that it can’t get much better than that.
6. Spending far too much time window-shopping online, wishing I could buy pieces that aren’t even shipped to New Zealand!
7. Going to the museum! I know it sounds a little geeky, but when was the last time you went to a museum or art gallery? Well, for me it was a few weeks ago… I attended ‘Late’ at the Auckland Museum which is held every month on a Thursday night, where they have a guest speaker, a musician, and open their featured exhibition. We got to see their newest exhibit called ‘Aqua’ which is an interactive thirty-minute exposé on the diminishing fresh water supply in the world. It was truly an eye-opening session, when does one ever have time to think about water!
8. Go for brunch! Actually brunch is definitely in my top ten all year round, c’mon it’s like the best thing to do on a Saturday morning. My picks would be Sheinken on Lorne Street – they make a mean Eggs Benedict and also ‘Shaky Isles’ in Kingsland – you can’t go wrong with their Whittakers chocolate infused mochas.
9. All night long movie marathons. My friend and I recently re-watched ‘Gilmore Girls’ for about twelve hours straight, I never get sick of Rory and Loralie’s back and forth banter.
10. Not feeling guilty when getting out of bed way too late… when it’s raining outside. Since there’s not much to do anyway.